JOIN OUR TEAM
At Senior Neighbors, we work together to make a difference in the lives of seniors living in our community. Senior Neighbors is an equal opportunity employer committed to promoting diversity, inclusion and a racism free culture in the workplace and our community.
Walker Firehouse Café
Posted: March 20, 2019
Part time, 12 hours per week, at the Walker Firehouse Café Senior Neighbors Center. An energetic and creative person is needed to assist the Senior Center Coordinator in the daily operations of a nutrition program for independent senior citizens. Applicants should be computer literate, creative, and organized. View Job Description >
Date Available: Immediately
- Assist in the setup, serving and cleanup for the nutrition program.
- Assist in the supervision of volunteers and/or staff in the meal program/kitchen and specific center projects as directed, making sure they stay compliant of all Standard Operating Procedures (SOP’s) for the Walker Firehouse Café .
- Assist in clerical and statistical reporting of the nutrition program and other center activities as directed to the Central Office and Meals on Wheels of Western Michigan (MOWWM).
- Daily ordering of lunches in compliance with the rules and regulations from MOWWM.
- Maintain a healthy and pleasant relationship with MOWWM. Please Understand that MOWWM is our customer and not the other way around and needs to be treated with the utmost respect.
- Maintain a well-organized, clean and safe kitchen and be compliant of all SOP’s for the Walker Firehouse Café kitchen at all times.
- Report to the Center Coordinator and if necessary Case Managers at the Central Office if any changes in clients’ health or well-being are noticed.
- Attend staff trainings and meetings as directed.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Ability to speak and write English. Ability to read and interpret instructions, policies and procedures.
- Must meet agencies standards for background check.
- Be ServSafe Certified within the first year of hire date. Staff are allowed three attempts to pass the ServSafe Test. Failure to pass the third attempt will lead to job termination. Senior Neighbors will provide the materials and cover the cost for the first of the three attempts. (ServSafe Certifications expire after five years.)
- Experience working with older adults preferred.
- Must be able to work with computers effectively.
- Ability to take initiative and complete tasks.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with related organizations, participants, general public and other members of the Senior Neighbors team.
- Dress in an appropriate manner.
If you are interested in this position, please send a cover letter and resume to Nicole Driesenga by email at email@example.com. Call 616-233-0745 with questions.
Senior Neighbors is committed to promoting diversity, inclusion and a racism free culture in the workplace and our community. An Equal Opportunity Employer.
Accountable Health Communities Case Manager
Posted: January 29, 2019
Full time position to address social health needs in older adults identified as having a high risk of Emergency Department use by connecting them to community resources. View Job Description >
Date Available: Immediately
To follow-up on referrals from the Accountable Health Communities Program. Linking older adults, identified as having a high risk of Emergency Department use, to community resources in order to promote the practice of medical “home-ness, decrease Emergency Department use, and enhance independent living in the community. Works as a member of the Senior Neighbors team to provide services to clients by addressing social determinants of health to achieve health equity for individuals/families.
- Provide case management services to a case load of clients that includes assessment, development of a service plan, linking with appropriate service(s) and reassessment of client need(s).
- Interpret information gathered during assessment and identify client need(s) and appropriate course of action.
- Make referrals and/or empower clients to seek necessary help from identified community agencies or resources.
- Promote positive decision-making, stress management, and coping skills to clients.
- Provide education to clients on appropriate use of all health care services and promote practice of “medical home-ness.”
- Serve effectively as a patient advocate and supportively allow clients to express ideas concerning provider care and barriers to comprehensive healthcare.
- Manage relationships with medical homes regarding client concerns and may attend medical home staff meetings as appropriate.
- Maintain positive relationships with outside community agencies and promote collaborative relationships with providers and other agency partners. Stay updated on new and existing programs.
- Document in the database systems all client and provider consultations, contacts, attempted contacts, and client service plans and interventions; provide timely and professional feedback to providers on outcomes of their referrals.
- Participate in weekly staff meetings and other trainings as directed.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree in social work or related field preferred.
- 1-year experience in senior services, the healthcare and/or mental health system, and home visiting programs desired.
- Knowledge of Medicare and/or Medicaid programs preferred. Certified as MMAP Counselor or Healthcare Navigator desirable, or willingness to be trained.
- Passion for working with older adults.
- Bilingual Candidates encouraged to apply. Spanish speaking preferred.
- Knowledge of local community resources preferred.
- Possess the knowledge, skills and experience necessary to provide effective case management and short-term solution-focused engagement.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills needed to establish and maintain effective working relationships with related organizations, clients, general public and other members of the Senior Neighbors team.
- Ability to understand and effectively work with a wide variety of human dynamics and behavior.
- Strong written and oral communication skills. Willingness to speak in public preferred.
- Ability to perform responsibilities without close supervision.
- Must have a satisfactory driving record and access to private transportation that meets state insurance requirements and vehicle safety standards, to use on agency business.
- Adequate computer skills.
Salary: $34,700 annual
All employees of Senior Neighbors must comply with all applicable Federal statutes relating to nondiscrimination, including, but not limited to:
-Title VI of the Civil Rights Act of 1964
Employment discrimination based on race, color, religion, sex and national origin is prohibited.
-Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973
A civil rights law to prohibit discrimination on the basis of disability in programs and activities, public and private, that receive federal financial assistance.
-The Age Discrimination Act of 1975
Prohibits discrimination based on age in programs or activities that receive federal financial assistance.
-Title II, Subtitle A of the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990
Title II applies to State and local government entities, and, in subtitle A, protects qualified individuals with disabilities from discrimination on the basis of disability in services, programs, and activities provided by State and local government entities.
“Senior Neighbors is committed to promoting diversity, inclusion and anti-racism in the workplace and our community” “An Equal Opportunity Employer”
Posted: February 13, 2019
Contract position, per class. An outgoing and health focused person is needed to teach EnhanceFitness classes to older adults. This is an opportunity to help seniors stay active and engaged with their peers. View Job Description >
Date Available: Immediately
Looking for energetic and passionate individuals to teach group fitness classes to older adults. This is a contracted position teaching group fitness classes at the rate of $28.00 per class, 3-6 classes per week. Permanent positions and on call substitute opportunities are available. The fitness program is called EnhanceFitness and training in the specific program will be provided.
- This candidate must be personable and engaging, and enjoy working with seniors.
- Must have a nationally recognized group fitness instructor or personal training certification or related background such as occupational, physical, or movement science. Or, be willing to pursue this.
- Must be willing and able to take in person EnhanceFitness Instructor training on April 15, 2019.
- Must have own appropriate music to play during classes.
- Must be willing to complete appropriate paperwork for class sessions.
- Current CPR certification
If you are interested in this position, please send a cover letter and resume to Julie Lake by email at firstname.lastname@example.org. You may also send your cover letter and resume by mail to:
Attention: Julie Lake
Senior Neighbors, Inc.
678 Front Ave NW, Suite 205
Grand Rapids, MI 49504
Senior Neighbors is committed to promoting diversity, inclusion and a racism free culture in the workplace and our community. “An Equal Opportunity Employer”