Senior Neighbors COVID-19 Service Updates
Last Updated: March 23, 2020
March 23: In light of the continuing COVID-19 Pandemic, Senior Neighbors continues to take additional steps to ensure the safety of our community and continue to serve older adults. These steps include:
- As previously announced, all 5 senior centers are closed, yet we remain active at our Centers. Staff are actively reaching out to members for wellness checks and running errands for groceries and medications if needed. We are building systems to continue to serve as long as necessary with Centers being closed. Some of these systems include serving 50 walk-up meals/day at the Grand Rapids Center and providing freezer meals to seniors at some of the other centers.
- Transportation programs are still in operation, though at a reduced level. Many seniors are self-isolating and we are only providing RideLink for essential needs including groceries and medical appointments.
- Home Maintenance workers are only visiting seniors for emergency situations, such as a significant leak in their plumbing.
- Our three Senior Corps volunteer programs are mostly on hold, although they continue to receive the much needed stipends they depend on. In place of their normal volunteer service, many have transitioned to making wellness calls.
- Case Management services continue to be provided via phone appointments with the added service of completing errands for the most vulnerable of our clients.
- Fitness classes have been suspended and we are working on ways to keep seniors active and engaged during this suspension. In the meantime we encourage seniors to enjoy the fresh air and take a walk outside or check out these resources – https://www.nia.nih.gov/health/exercise-physical-activity.
March 17: As of March 17, other than emergency situations, client assistance at the Central Office will be offered by appointment only. Please contact our Client Services team at 616-233-0281 or ClientServices@seniorneighbors.org to schedule time with a Case Manager.
March 16: For the health and safety of our Center members, clients, volunteers, and staff, effective March 16, we have made the decision to take several proactive measures to combat the spread of COVID-19 in the community. These steps include:
- Closing all Senior Neighbors Centers indefinitely. Staff at each center can be reached at the Center number during regular business hours so we can continue to assist members as much as possible.
- Temporarily suspending all fitness classes.
- School based volunteers are on hold.
- Case Management services will be provided via phone appointments.
- Requesting that staff members consider working remotely when possible and practicing social distancing within the office.
If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to call, email, or message us with any questions.
Please stay tuned for updates as the recommendations from local, state, and federal officials are rapidly changing.
Spectrum Health: https://www.spectrumhealth.org/covid19
State of Michigan: https://www.michigan.gov/Coronavirus
Centers for Disease Control: https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/index.html
World Health Organization: https://www.who.int/emergencies/diseases/novel-coronavirus-2019